Office and administration during the restoration │ Turmstrasse 33, D-10551 Berlin │ Phone / Fax: +49 30 9160328-9 /-8
Heimatmuseum Mitte / Museum Mitte von Berlin / Mitte Museum am Festungsgraben
The institution was founded in 1987 as "Heimatgeschichtliches Kabinett - Local history cabinet" on the occasion of the 750th anniversary of Berlin in the then East Berlin district of Mitte. This had been suggested by a "Local history community" which had addressed subjects of local historical interest in the district for a number of years. The exhibition space was on the ground floor of house No. 23 on Sophienstrasse which had been remodelled into a historistic crafts people’s lane for the city anniversary. After the Wende (German reunification) and when the archives rooms on Torstrasse were taken over, the name was changed to "Heimatmuseum Berlin Mitte" in 1992. The museum remained at its original site until 1997. The move to the "Palais am Festungsgraben" - behind Neue Wache Unter den Linden - was accompanied by a change of name to "Museum Mitte von Berlin". The museum then went under this name until the consolidation of the districts and its integration into the new "Mitte Museum". From 2004 to 2009 the "Mitte Museum am Festungsgraben" was host to rotating exhibitions on different subjects.
In 1989 the former Heimatarchiv Wedding (Wedding local archives) were renamed Heimatmuseum Wedding (Wedding local museum). The initial plans for the foundation of a communal historic archive in the district were around as early as in the 1930s. In 1951 the 700th anniversary of the documented mention of the village of Wedding was celebrated in a great city festival accompanied by a historic exhibition. The author of the backup book was teacher and local historian Bruno Stephan. After the Heimatarchiv Wedding had been opened in 1952 as a department of the district's art office he remained the director of this establishment for 20 years. From the very start he built a collection on regional history, but the focus of his work was on guided city tours, lectures related to local history and individual information on questions of local history. After the great success of an exhibition on the history of the borough of Wedding in 1987 on the occasion of the 750th anniversary of Berlin, the Heimatarchiv Wedding was expanded to become a museum of regional history. In 1989 it was inaugurated on Pankstrasse 47 in a school building from the 19th century restored according to the regulations for listed buildings under the name of "Heimatmuseum Wedding". This is where the Mitte Museum is located today.
Like the other district museums in former West Berlin, the Heimatmuseum Tiergarten was based on a local history initiative. As early as 1962 the "Arbeitskreis für die Geschichte Tiergartens e.V." (AGT - Working group for the history of Tiergarten) was founded. It was focused on researching and presenting the past of the district. The first historic collection had been assembled as well. In 1984 the "Heimatarchiv Tiergarten" opened on Zwinglistrasse, which three years later as "Heimatmuseum Tiergarten" was able to fill several more exhibition rooms in the Gebrüder-Grimm-Haus, Turmstrasse 75. A permanent exhibition on borough history was prepared on the basis of several "building block exhibitions", which was shown until closure of the museum in 2004.